It has been a whirlwind few weeks! We closed escrow in the middle of April and then had about 2.5 weeks to get the house livable before our lease was up on our rental. By “livable,” I mean we needed working toilets. And because the floors needed to be redone and that wrapped in with getting new toilets, it took a few weeks for it to be habitable. In that time, we also painted all of the walls, did a bit of work in the yard, and did a few others fixes, such as patching cracks in the wall (call me the Spackle Goddess!) and replacing some light fixtures, as well as taking care of all of the “Section 1” fixes on the home-inspection report.
So here, at long last, is the before-and-after post! The house is still a work in progress, but we have tackled many of the big things and are so pleased with the results!
I know, I know…you’re wondering where the pictures of the kitchen are! Well, it’s still very much a work in progress. Our new stove hasn’t come in yet, and there are still a lot of boxes and such waiting to be unpacked. So you’ll have to wait on the kitchen. But I will say, I love the bold green paint we ended up choosing for the walls!
There’s still so many little projects to do with the house, but I think we’ve done a lot in three weeks! We love the new floors—both the plank vinyl and the new carpet. The plank vinyl, like laminate or wood, shows the dog hair and dust pretty easily. But we have a Roomba robot vacuum, and I just set that to run every day, and then I Swiffer to get any dust and dog hair it missed. The boys love the floors because they can run their cars very fast on them! And Sam seems to like the slap-slap sound his feet make on the floors—he never walks in the downstairs, he always runs and stares at his slapping little feet! (No, he hasn’t yet managed to run into anything. He’s surprisingly coordinated for such a little guy.)
In due time, we’ll replace the faucets (a couple of them leak, and all are very dated) and the towel bars (they’re functional but just dated—and an easy, inexpensive update to make it look spiffy!). Someday down the road, we’d like to replace the bathroom vanities. One is quite damaged, and the others are fine but just dated. Soon, we’ll replace the window coverings that we removed downstairs (the spider- and cobweb-infested ones). Currently, we’re living in a fishbowl. But our location is pretty private, so it’s not a big deal. We’re also looking at replacing all of the windows, because the seals are broken on several, the frames are cheap and not holding up that well, and the sliding-glass door doesn’t exactly close all the way (you can see light shining through it where it’s supposed to be sealed). But at the moment, that iron fence is our first concern. We had hoped it would be the HOA’s responsibility since it is shared with the golf course, but no—it’s ours. However, it has to look the same, so we can’t replace the wrought iron with something less expensive. But that’s okay—the wrought iron looks nice, so we’ll pony up the $1,700 to replace it. The welder has even told me he can move the smaller posts slightly closer together when he rebuilds it, so that the pugs won’t be able to squeeze through to the golf course. (Ahem, no more joy-romps, Zoe!)
We’re also looking into getting ceiling fans in the upstairs bedrooms. It gets very hot up there (particularly in the master), and there is no overhead lighting. So hopefully we’ll be able to get fans with light kits installed.
And then there are doorknobs and all manner of other little touches to update. But those things can wait. At the moment, our fixer-upper house has become much more of a home, and we are in love with it!